JAPAN: Sapporo boss notes shift from beer
Japan's brewers have shifted their focus away from beer to become broad beverage alcohol producers, the president of Sapporo Breweries has said.
Sapporo president Masaru Fukunaga pointed to last week's move by Kirin Brewery to buy a majority stake in local wine group Mercian Corp. as evidence that the country's brewers are diversifying away from a stagnant Japanese beer market.
In an interview with Japanese news agency Jiji Press today (20 November), Fukunaga said the moves by the country's brewers into the wine and spirit categories were different from past M&A deals, which had tended to only involve brewers.
Fukunaga told the agency that, while Sapporo was open to further acquisitions, the company was focusing on growing its two recent purchases - local spirits group Kikkoman Corp. and Canadian brewer Sleeman Breweries.
Sapporo has found the going tough domestically. In August, the brewer posted a net loss of JPY3.9bn (US$33m) for the six months to the end of June. The result compared to a loss of JPY5.2bn last year. However, the brewer saw sales fall 4% to JPY200.1bn.
Looking at Japan's beer industry as a whole, between July and September, domestic beer shipments fell to their lowest levels since comparable figures became available in 1992.
Figures from the country's five leading brewers showed domestic beer shipments in the period fell 3.2% from a year earlier to 137.6m cases.
Anheuser-Busch has stopped making its drink Spykes due to its "limited volume potential and unfounded criticism"....
Brick Brewing Co. is set to brew Tiger Malt non-alcoholic beer in Canada....
Steel Partners has warned Sapporo Holdings that its 'advanced warning system' (AWS) is being used in an "inappropriate" manner to ward off attempts by the company to buy the Japanese firm....
Brick Brewing Co. has made itself available to purchase....
Diageo has added an eleventh flavour variant to its Smirnoff vodka brand in the US....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Diageo North America's has launched its new brand, Smirnoff Source, into the north-east of the US....
Thai Beverage has reported a lift in its first-quarter revenue due to higher beer sales....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research