JAPAN: Sapporo, Asahi ponder beer price hike - report
Two Japanese brewers are considering hiking up beer prices due to rising raw material costs, according to local press.
A Nikkei report cited Sapporo Breweries president Masaru Fukunaga, from a news conference last Thursday (25 October) as saying: "We have to make efforts to cut costs, but we have already started considering price increases. The impact of high material costs will become severe in the next year and onward."
On the same day, Asahi Breweries president Hitoshi Ogita reportedly hinted it may also be forced to consider price increases, according to the Japanese news service.
During a news conference in Tokyo, Ogita was quoted as having said: "We will have no choice but to consider price hikes if material and ingredient costs climb higher than they did this year."
Kirin Holdings and Sapporo Holdings are looking to merge their beer distribution in the north of Japan, according to local reports....
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like products in Japan registered a fall in the first three months of 2008, according to recent figures....
Asahi Soft Drinks Co. has intimated that it is considering raising its prices due to the rising costs of raw materials, according to reports....
Asahi Breweries is to begin production of its Super Dry beer brand in Russia after signing a deal with Baltika Breweries....
Baltika has confirmed a marked lift in its full-year dividend payment to shareholders....
Steel Partners has backed down from pushing for a majority stake in the Japanese brewer Sapporo Holdings but sweetened its offer in order to capture a one-third stake in the business instead....
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like beverages in Japan rose slightly last month ahead of further price rises in the country, according to recent figures....
Sapporo Holdings has turned down a takeover bid from US private equity group Steel Partners....
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India