CHILE/UK: Santa Rita outlines UK, Ireland assault
The owner of Santa Rita has created a new role of corporate commercial director at the Chilean wine group as it looks to boost its presence in ten key export markets.
Chilean conglomerate The Claro Group has appointed Richard Leaver to the role. Leaver joins Santa Rita from Beam Global Spirits & Wine. He has also worked for Australian wine producer Southcorp, now part of Foster's Group.
Leaver (pictured) told just-drinks that Santa Rita, which owns wine brands including Carmen, Terra Andina and its namesake label, is focusing its efforts on the UK and Ireland.
Santa Rita sells the two best-selling Chilean wines in Ireland, Leaver said, thanks to some "excellent distribution". In the UK, Leaver said using three separate distributors for different brands has not helped the company's fortunes.
"The distributors have done a good job but the UK market is tough," Leaver said. "Recently, the dialogue I've had with key contacts in the off-trade is that we would benefit from talking across those brands."
However, Leaver declined to comment on whether Santa Rita would look to change distributors in the UK. "We will be working on a five-year plan and the key is to be really clear directionally; which channels shall we target, which wines fit in which channels, where we are in terms of price points, things like that."
Leaver said Santa Rita would look to be "fit to compete" in the UK market. He added: "If you look at our competitors, some of them have done an excellent job in terms of marketing, on price points and in offering a portfolio solution to their key customers. We need to learn from that."
Santa Rita, which controls almost 4,500 hectares of vineyards in Chile and Argentina, is Chile's third-largest wine producer.
Attention has been focused on the Indian bottled water sector over the last week or so as speculation has mounted that Danone and a number of other companies are looking to expand their presence in th...
Scottish & Newcastle is facing the threat of industrial action at its biggest brewery in the UK....
Foster's has lined up what it claims is the UK's first premium varietal rosé for the off-trade....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has added two new super-premium Scotch whiskies to its Laphroaig Islay single malt range in the UK....
Molson Canada is set to close one of its breweries in the country....
Fortune Brands has increased its annual dividend payment....
Fortune Brands has posted a slight fall in net income for its second quarter....
Scottish & Newcastle has promoted its UK innovations director to the position of marketing manager....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- Edrington's Highland Park Valkyrie - NPD
- Coca-Cola to cut 1,200 jobs
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report