UK/CHILE: San Pedro parts company with UK agent
Chilean wine group San Pedro has parted company with its UK agent Buckingham Vintners.
San Pedro, Chile's second-largest wine exporter, and Buckingham Vintners had worked together in the UK for 18 years but today (5 February) they announced the end of their relationship.
The two companies were coy about the reasons behind the decision. In a joint statement, they said they both needed to "pursue their own objectives within the UK market".
Stuart Downes, San Pedro's export director, thanked Buckingham Vintners for its "support and enthusiasm".
San Pedro, which produces wine brand 35º South, said it would make an announcement on the UK distribution of its wines "in due course". Company officials in Santiago could not be reached for further comment as just-drinks went to press.
Buckingham Vintners marketing manager Jon Pepper said the distributor is in talks to add a new Chilean winery to its portfolio. He declined to comment further on the reasons behind the end of the agent's agreement with San Pedro.
Last month, Swiss group Schenk upped its stake in Buckingham Vintners to an undisclosed amount. Pepper, however, insisted Buckingham Vintners enjoyed decision-making autonomy. He said: "Schenk has always taken the very strong policy that the companies that it invests in are able to look after themselves."
The establishment of a new umbrella organisation for Chile's wine industry will not bring any changes to promotional body Wines of Chile, according to the head of the body in the UK....
The Chilean wine industry has officially launched a new umbrella wine association....
Compania Cervecerias Unidas has reported a strong start to 2007....
Chilean wine group San Pedro has named Les Grands Chais de France as its distributor for the UK market....
Chilean wine group Viña San Pedro has snapped up local winery Viña Leyda as it looks to strengthen its presence in the country's emerging wine regions....
A shareholder in Buckingham Vintners has upped its stake in the UK wine agent....
Chile's largest wine producer San Pedro has ploughed US$5m into its Viña Altaïr joint venture in an effort to reduce debts at the company....
San Pedro is poised to add to its Chilean wine range - this time with two Argentinean offerings....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research