PHILIPPINES: San Miguel eyes South East Asian growth - report
San Miguel is looking at possible investments in brewery and liquor production in Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, encouraged by the countries growth of tourism, according to local reports.
The three countries consume at least 300,000 hectolitres of beer and other alcoholic beverages, company president Ramon Ang told the Philippine Daily Inquirer on the sidelines of the annual general meeting of San Miguel's liquor arm, Ginebra San Miguel, yesterday (29 May).
"These markets are just opening," he said. "There are no manufacturing facilities (for beer and liquor) in those markets."
He told reporters that tourism was spurring economic growth in the three countries, which belong to the Association of South East Asian Countries, like the Philippines.
"Like in Angkor Wat (in Cambodia), foreign tourist arrivals in 2007 hit almost 4m, compared with the Philippines' 2.7m last year," Ang said.
He said San Miguel was in talks with potential partners, but declined to say with whom.
Ginebra San Miguel yesterday also reported that its revenues grew 14% to PHP3.4bn (US$78.1m) in the first quarter.
It said demand was especially strong for its Gran Matador and GSM Blue brands, and aggressive distribution initiatives and promo activities helped to push volumes for its flagship namesake brand.
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer