PHILIPPINES: San Miguel denies Coca-Cola Amatil rumours
San Miguel, the Philippines-based food and beverage company, has denied rumours that it wants to buy back Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines from Coca-Cola Amatil Ltd.In a statement to the Manila Stock Exchange San Miguel said: "The company wishes to clarify that there are no proposals to either Coca-Cola Amatil or Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines Inc. regarding this matter."It has been previously reported that San Miguel apparently made an informal proposal to buy back Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines for between $1 billion and $2 billion. A far cry from when CCA bought the business from San Miguel and Coca-Cola Co, three years ago and San Miguel received 220 million CCA shares for its 70% stake in the company.The alleged proposal by San Miguel follows a 10% slump in consumption of Coca-Cola in the Philippines in 1999; a slump, which CCA says, is due to a general downturn in consumer confidence.A CCA spokesman said: "No proposal has been put to us." He continued by saying that CCA is forecasting an eventual return to sales growth in the Philippines, which had been 33% two years ago.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India