PHILIPPINES: San Miguel denies Coca-Cola Amatil rumours
San Miguel, the Philippines-based food and beverage company, has denied rumours that it wants to buy back Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines from Coca-Cola Amatil Ltd.In a statement to the Manila Stock Exchange San Miguel said: "The company wishes to clarify that there are no proposals to either Coca-Cola Amatil or Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines Inc. regarding this matter."It has been previously reported that San Miguel apparently made an informal proposal to buy back Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines for between $1 billion and $2 billion. A far cry from when CCA bought the business from San Miguel and Coca-Cola Co, three years ago and San Miguel received 220 million CCA shares for its 70% stake in the company.The alleged proposal by San Miguel follows a 10% slump in consumption of Coca-Cola in the Philippines in 1999; a slump, which CCA says, is due to a general downturn in consumer confidence.A CCA spokesman said: "No proposal has been put to us." He continued by saying that CCA is forecasting an eventual return to sales growth in the Philippines, which had been 33% two years ago.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review