PHILIPPINES: San Miguel Brewery sees H1 profits rise but volumes fall
- H1 operating profits rise 6% to PHP10.8bn (US$258m)
- Net sales climb 4% to PHP36.9bn (US$880m)
- Volumes dip 3% to 111.6m cases
- Domestic volumes also drop 3%
San Miguel Brewery is a subsidiary of San Miguel Corporation
San Miguel Brewery has reported a slight rise in H1 profits despite a fall in domestic volumes.
Operating profits rose by 6% to PHP10.8bn (US$258m) in the first six months to the end of June compared to a year earlier, the Philippine brewer announced today (13 August). Net sales increased over the same period by 4% to PHP36.9bn. But domestic volumes, which make up about three-quarters of total volumes, fell back by 3%.
International volumes stayed flat, but revenue for the brewer's international operations posted double-digit growth because of higher volumes in Hong Kong, Indonesia and Thailand.
Meanwhile, liquor and soft drinks maker Ginebra San Miguel, part of the same group, saw H1 volumes drop by 15%. Net sales dropped by 12% to PHP7.2bn (US$172m) but operating profits increased by 16%. Volumes for its flagship Ginebra San Miguel brand rose by 13%, the company said.
San Miguel Brewery and Ginebra San Miguel are owned by the Philippines' largest company, San Miguel Corporation, which today posted a 31% first-half gain in net profits.
San Miguel Brewery makes up about 10% of the corporation's total sales and Ginebra San Miguel about 2%.
San Miguel Corp's share price was down 0.8% towards the end of trading today.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
In the fourth part of Euromonitor's preview of 2013, alcoholic drinks analysts Spiros Malandrakis and Zsuzsa Szilagyi consider what the future holds for the world's brewers....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly