PHILIPPINES: San Miguel Brewery FY beer sales rise
San Miguel Brewery has reported an 11% rise in revenue and a 25% jump in net income for 2008, allaying fears of a decline in the global beer market.
Revenue reached PHP44bn (US$937m) for the 12-month period, with net income after tax rising to PHP10bn, San Miguel Brewery (SMB) said today (30 January).
The Philippines-based brewer attributed the results to a 4% rise in volumes and a tighter focus on cost control. The higher rate of value growth also indicates that the group has improved revenue per case. Top performing brands were San Miguel Light, Red Horse and Gold Eagle.
SMB's performance shows that parts of the Asia Pacific beer market remain buoyant, despite the global economic downturn.
Also today, SMB announced that it plans to issue bonds of up to PHP38.8bn, in order to fund the entire acquisition of domestic beer brands and brewing operations held by the group's parent firm, San Miguel Corp. The deal was announced earlier this week.
Last week, SMB said it had entered exclusive talks with Japan's Kirin Holdings. Japan's second largest brewer hopes to secure a 43.25% stake in SMB.
The US has Budweiser, the so-called King of Beers. Soon Japan may have a Godzilla. Kirin, the country's biggest maker of suds, is mulling a merger with family-owned drinks maker Suntory, according to ...
The confirmation on Monday (13 July) that Japan's two largest drinks companies - Kirin and Suntory - are in discussions on merging their operations may have caught the industry by surprise, but the re...
Following this week's news that Kirin Holdings and Suntory are in merger talks, just-drinks has compiled five essential facts on the Japanese beer market....
Fears that a merger between Kirin Holdings and Suntory Holdings could breach Japan's antitrust law are unfounded, say analysts in Tokyo....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Ginebra San Miguel, the spirits arm of San Miguel Corp, has reported net profits up by 75% in the first half of 2009....
Lion Nathan has said it is on-track to meet profits guidance for its full-year after beer sales continued to rise in the brewer's third quarter....
Kirin Holdings has recieved clearance from New Zealand's Overseas Investment Office for its deal to buy up all remaining shares in Lion Nathan....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research