PHILIPPINES: San Miguel Brewery bond issue a success - report
San Miguel Brewery has succeeded in raising PHP38.8bn (US$800m) in a corporate bond issue in the Philippines, according to local reports.
San Miguel Brewery (SMB) said yesterday (16 March) that it has fixed the interest rates for the three bond issues, which together total PHP38.8bn.
A report by Dow Jones newswire later the same day cited unnamed sources as saying that the bond was oversubscribed, allowing SMB to raise the funding with relative ease.
It plans to use the money to acquire the domestic beer brands and brewing operations held by parent firm San Miguel Corp.
Last month, Japanese brewer Kirin Holdings agreed a deal to acquire a 43% stake in SMB for PHP59bn (US$1.2bn), as part of its strategy to expand outside of Japan's shrinking beer market.
Kirin has also launched a tender offer to acquire further publicly-owned shares in SMB, which, if successful, will take its stake to 49%.
San Miguel Corp would retain the controlling 51% stake, although a Kirin spokesperson told just-drinks last week that the brewer is eyeing a move for San Miguel's international beer operations, such as those in China, Vietnam and Indonesia.
There is always a bubble inflating somewhere. Right now that somewhere appears to be the soft drinks market. Intense interest among Japanese buyers has created an opportunity for US private-equity fir...
The US has Budweiser, the so-called King of Beers. Soon Japan may have a Godzilla. Kirin, the country's biggest maker of suds, is mulling a merger with family-owned drinks maker Suntory, according to ...
The confirmation on Monday (13 July) that Japan's two largest drinks companies - Kirin and Suntory - are in discussions on merging their operations may have caught the industry by surprise, but the re...
Suntory Holdings seems to have its hands full at the moment. Not only is it in merger talks with Japanese rival Kirin Holdings, but it is now close to a deal to buy the French soft drink brand Orangin...
The owners of Orangina Schweppes Group have confirmed that talks have opened with Suntory Holdings over a possible purchase transaction....
Japan's Suntory Holdings is in talks to acquire the Orangina drinks brand from private equity groups Lion Capital and Blackstone, according to reports....
Boisset Family Estates, the US division of French wine producer Boisset, has closed a deal to acquire Raymond Vineyard & Cellar from Japan's Kirin Holdings....
San Miguel Corporation has posted a lift in group sales and operating profits for the first half of this year, driven by a healthy performance from its spirits division....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research