PHILIPPINES: San Miguel announces Q1 results
As a result of broader distribution, productivity enhancements and continuing cost containment initiatives according to SMC it also reported its operating income had jumped 22% from P1.48 billion ($29m) to P1.81 billion ($35.8m).
In a statement the company said that volumes for most of SMC's domestic businesses performed favourably during the first three months of the year, with domestic beer and liquor sales up combined with strong overall volume growth in both the packaging and food businesses. Consolidated net sales amounted to P19.1 billion ($37.7m), plus 9% over P18.3 billion ($36m) last year.
Domestic beer sales revenue for the first quarter also increased, by 14% to P8.02 billion ($15.8m) while volumes grew by 6%. Operating income reached P1.3 billion ($2.5m), up 18% from a year ago. And Beer International showed signs of a sustained turnaround in performance as the various brand building and rationalisation activities earlier initiated started to bear fruit.
Operating losses for the first quarter dropped by 82% from $7.6m in 1999 to $1.4m this year.
La Tondena Distillers, Inc.'s net income for the first quarter amounted to P369.2m ($7.3m), a 125% increase from P164.2m ($3.2m) in 1999. Operating income rose by 48% from P472m last year to P699m ($13.8m) and sales revenue grew by 36% from P2.4 billion ($47m) to P3.2 billion $63m). Hard liquor volumes grew 26%, "due to greater distribution levels though San Miguel's beer's trade network," the company said.
And despite intensified competition from lower priced water filling stations, bottled water volumes surged 68%, and juice volumes increased by 17%.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends