USA: San Antonio Resident Cracks Jack Daniel's Safe and Wins $100,000
The sweepstakes, which was the second of its kind for the nation's oldest registered distillery, tied into the interesting death of the distillery's founder, Jack Daniel. In 1905, Mr. Jack kicked his safe after unsuccessfully struggling to open it. He broke his toe. Infection set in, eventually killing him in 1911.
"Jack Daniel's has always emphasized its history and heritage," said Erin Schlader, Jack Daniel's brand manager. "This sweepstakes continues that tradition by allowing us to educate consumers about the true history of Mr. Jack Daniel in a unique, fun way."
The safe-cracking finalists qualified through participation at bars, restaurants and retail accounts as well as through national consumer magazines, local radio and Internet contests.
Sanchez, 24, and his wife Holly said they were planning to buy a house with the $100,000 prize. As Sanchez made the last nervous turn on the dial for the final letter of the winning combination, the dial stopped after only one turn -- and he knew he was the winner.
"I'm just too happy. I was hoping that I had put it on the right letters (of the combination) that were being called out," said Sanchez, a native of New Braunfels. "We're going to buy a house, pay some bills we owe, and then invest the rest. And, I'm going to go back to school in January. We'll probably even take a vacation."
Holly Sanchez said that winning the trip to Lynchburg through a local radio station was more than she ever expected.
"When Steven called in and won the chance for the trip to Lynchburg, I was just happy with winning the trip. I have never been out of Texas before," she said. "But I'll take the trip -- and the money. It just doesn't get any better than this."
Officially registered by the U.S. Government in 1866, Jack Daniel Distillery, Lem Motlow, proprietor, is the oldest registered distillery in the United States and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Based in Lynchburg, Tenn., the Jack Daniel Distillery is the maker of the world-famous Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey, Gentleman Jack Rare Tennessee Whiskey, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Tennessee Whiskey, and Jack Daniel's Country Cocktails.
Companies: Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
With the acquisition of Allied Domecq, the wave of consolidation that has dominated the spirits industry for the best part of a decade may have hit an impasse. The families that control the next tier ...
Jack Daniel Distillery will send out a public service announcement telling adults to drink responsibly and know their limits - to be aired before NASCAR racing....
Brown-Forman Corporation has reported a 46% rise in diluted earnings from continuing operations for the first quarter of the current fiscal year....
At its AGM yesterday (28 July), chairman of Brown-Forman, Owsley Brown II, told shareholders that the company was enjoying a very strong start to the 2006 fiscal year....
Brown-Forman has announced the next step in its succession plan....
Brown-Forman has reported earnings growth of 21% for its fiscal year to 30 April....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Brown-Forman has restructured its distribution set up for Europe, entering into new agreements for its spirits brands in a number of countries, including Italy, Spain, and Germany....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China