NORWAY: Sales up for H1 at Vinmonopolet, June struggles
Vinmonopolet has posted a slight lift in sales for the first six months of this year.
The Norwegian alcohol retailing monopoly said earlier this week that sales at its stores rose by 2.6% between January and June, compared to the corresponding period a year earlier, reaching 33.8m litres.
While beer sales led the field, increasing by 6.1% to 0.2m litres, table wine and spirits also registered growth, of 3% to 27.5m litres and of 1.7% to 5.6m litres respectively.
In the month of June, however, total sales fell by 8.3% to 6.3m litres, with only beer registering a slight increase - up 0.6% to 0.04m litres. Table wine sales dropped by 8.1% in the month to 5.2m litres, with spirits sales sliding by 8.8% to 1m litres.
Vinmonopolet moved away from wholesale alcohol sales in 1996 to concentrate solely on retail in the company. The split came about to adhere to a European Economic Area agreement in 1994.
The discount culture in the UK and other European wine markets has resulted in reduced choice and hampered opportunities to trade consumers up to better wines. In contrast, writes Chris Losh, the reta...
It is now more than a year and a half since Troy Christensen took the helm at Constellation Europe, the European division of the world's biggest wine company. Given the current state of the European m...
Tax hikes have taken centre stage in discussions between the alcohol industry and several national and state governments around the world over the last year. Michelle Russell reports on a global trend...
Fifty three French winemakers accused of illegally enhancing their Beaujolais wines with sugar are facing EUR500 to EUR7,000 in fines....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Children aged under 15 should never be given alcohol, is the message from the UK's chief medical officer....
Last year's duty tax hikes have been "devastating" for the UK pub and beer sector, the head of Fuller, Smith & Turner has said, amid a 1% slip in beer volumes during the first 43 weeks of its fiscal y...
Sovio Wines will go to the UK High Court next month to challenge a Food Standard Agency (FSA) ruling that banned its reduced alcohol wine....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends