USA: Sales of Wine and Spirits in Illinois Remain Strong with Illinois First Tax Increase According to WSDI
According to the trade association, for the nine month period beginning July 1, 1999, when Illinois First tax increase went into effect, through April 1, 2000, 31,528,867 gallons of wine and spirits were purchased. That is up from 31,225,081 gallons over the same nine month period from July 1, 1998 to April 1, 1999.
Based on the first quarter results and preliminary reports for April and May, WSDI is predicting the positive buying trend will continue into the summer months when demand generally increases.
"Despite the higher tax, the industry remains strong because sales remain strong," said WSDI Executive Director Paul Jenkins.
In addition to the tax increase, Illinois consumers also felt the effect of several supplier and wholesaler increases as well, which Jenkins compares to oil.
"It's like gas. When suppliers charge more for inventory, distributors pay more, retailers pay more and ultimately, the consumer pays more. Despite these increases, the market remains strong," Jenkins said. "Our employees are working hard, and we continue to collect taxes under the three-tier system."
WSDI is an Illinois trade association representing 30 Illinois wholesale wine and spirits distributors and more than 3,700 employees.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends