CHINA: SABMiller's Snow wins Kingway Brewery's hand
Already the market leader with Snow, SABMiller will add Kingway to its Chinese footprint
SABMiller appears to have won the race for Kingway Brewery Holdings, having agreed to buy the business for US$864m.
The UK-based brewer confirmed this morning (5 February) that its Chinese JV with China Resources Enterprise, China Resources Snow Breweries, will acquire Kingway, which operates primarily in the affluent province of Guangdong in the country. Kingway is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange, with state-owned GDH its controlling shareholder.
The brewery business comprises seven breweries, four of which are in Guangdong, with sites also in the Sichuan and Shaanxi provinces and Tianjin municipality. Total annual production capacity of the facilities stands at 14.5m hectolitres, according to SABMiller.
The move signals the end of the race for Kingway, which started back in 2011 when Asia Pacific Breweries, at the time a JV between Fraser & Neave and Heineken, sold its 21.4% stake in Kingway to GDH. Subsequently, GDH started a search for outside investment, with observers suggesting that Anheuser-Busch InBev, Beijing Yanjing Brewery Co, Carlsberg and CR Snow were showing interest.
“The acquisition of Kingway gives us greater access to high growth and attractive regional markets in China, thereby enhancing CR Snow’s competitive position,” said SABMiller's MD for Asia Pacific, Ari Mervis.
The transaction remains subject to regulatory approvals and final approval of Kingway's shareholders.
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets