UK: SABMiller's Mackay returns to chairman role after tumour
Graham Mackay is back at work after recovering from a brain tumour
Graham Mackay has resumed his duties as non-executive chairman of SABMiller after a four-month medical leave of absence, the company said today (6 September).
Mackay, who was also the group's CEO, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in April. He was replaced immediately as CEO by Alan Clark, which brought forward a planned succession process due to happen in July.
John Manser, who was acting chairman during Mackay's absence, has resumed his former post as deputy chairman & senior independent director, the brewer said.
Mackay said: "The directors are extremely grateful to John Manser for stepping so ably into the breach as acting chairman during my absence, and I personally have relied hugely on his support and wise counsel during what has been a very difficult few months for my family and me."
He added: “I am delighted that the transition of the chief executive's management responsibilities to Alan Clark has gone so well, and I look forward to supporting Alan and his executive team as they continue to lead SABMiller to ever greater success."
Last week, MillerCoors unveiled the biggest brand launch in its five-and-a-half year history: Miller Fortune, a beer designed to take on the spirits market. But, how will this strategy play out, and w...
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends