GLOBAL: SABMiller's Europe performance impresses, but caution remains - analyst
SABMiller performed well in Europe overall despite tough conditions in many regions
SABMiller's Q1 volume growth in Europe was "much stronger than expected", but analysts remain cautious about future prospects for the brewer.
The brewer yesterday (26 July) announced an 8% rise in Q1 group revenue, with organic volume growth in Europe up 7%. But analysts Bernstein Research warned of reading too much into the Europe numbers.
Poland, with 11% volume growth, benefited from its co-host status for the European Championships, the analysts said. Meanwhile Romania's performance, up 15%, was "primarily driven by the launch of an economy brand Ciucas in PET pack, which leads us to think mix was likely negative", Bernstein said in a note.
SABMiller did admit volumes were "depressed" in Western Europe, due to poor weather and economic conditions.
The analysts said it was a "robust" set of results overall, but warned "the quality of the beat may not be as good as it appears".
"Though SABMiller delivered higher volume growth than expected, price-mix was also slightly lower than expected, suggesting the beat at profit level may not be as significant as at the revenue level," the note added.
Meanwhile, UBS noted: "Despite a strong volume growth, we flag a slightly weaker revenue/hl and a negative country mix from Europe and Asia."
Last year, just-drinks travelled to the US to report on Diageo's investor conference. The subject of the presentations was the company's hopes and plans for the Latin America & Caribbean region. While...
He's back, Back, BACK. After an absence of almost two years, we're delighted to welcome Larry Nelson, the publisher of Brewers' Guardian, back into the just-drinks fold. and, to kick things off again,...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends