S AFRICA: SABMiller's Amalgamated Beverage Industries plans 400 job cuts
ABI is the soft drinks unit of SABMiller's South Africa business
SABMiller has confirmed that it expects to cut around 400 jobs at its South African soft drinks unit Amalgamated Beverage Industries (ABI).
The unit, which is Africa's largest Coca-Cola bottler, is going through a “structural review” with both management and frontline staff likely to be affected by the cutbacks, the company confirmed today (14 April). “The estimated net reduction in the number of positions is approximately 400,” SABMiller said in a statement.
ABI has redeployed around 1,000 staff since a streamlining initiative started in 2010, the company said. However, the group pointed to an “increasingly challenging and dynamic business environment”.
The Food and Allied Workers Union (FAWU) said it is taking legal advice and will be calling for an urgent meeting with the company's directors with “a view to placing a moratorium on the comprehensive restructuring program”.
Last month, ABI's MD John Ustas admitted the company's profits had been affected by a weakening rand, slow economy and rising commodity costs. However, he said the group is aiming for 5% medium-term annual volume growth. ABI has a 91% share of South Africa’s CSD market.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020