CHINA: SABMiller venture confirms Harbin plans
The London-listed brewing giant, which holdsa 49% stake in China Resources Snow Breweries, said last month that a plant would be built but declined to reveal any further details about the plans.
However, CR Snow said today (4 May) that the brewery, which will have an initial capacity of 2.3m hectolitres, should be up and running in 18 months. The investment is part of the brewer's plans to broaden the reach of its flagship Snow brand across China. Snow sales leapt 47% to almost 15.8m hectolitres last year and have almost doubled in two years in Heilongjiang province, the home of Harbin.
André Parker, managing director of SABMiller Africa & Asia, said: "The need to build a brewery to supply the demand in this key region shows the increasing presence we have in Heilongjiang despite the other incumbent competitors."
The brewery will be CR Snow's second in Heilongjiang, where the brewer already owns one site in the city of Shangzhi. Beer consumption in the province runs siginficantly above the national average in Chian. Beer drinkers in Heilongjiang consumed 15m hectolitres, which works out at 39 litres per person, with the national average standing at 23 litres.
Having recorded a third consecutive year of volume, margin and earnings growth, global brewing force, SAB Miller, was in a position to give shareholders a 27% dividend increase and eye the acquisition...
SABMiller looks set to snap up a majority stake in Indian brewer Mohan Meakin - with a deal likely to be finalised by the start of June, just-drinks understands....
Miller Brewing has signalled its delight at arch-rival Anheuser-Busch's apparent confession that it has altered the recipes for Budweiser and Bud Light....
Anheuser-Busch CFO Randy Baker has said that the US brewing giant should see volumes continuing to rise after enjoying an increase in first-quarter sales....
Anheuser- Busch has hosted a "Green Week" of events and activities at many of its facilities across the US....
Asia Pacific Breweries has emerged as the front-runner in the race to buy the Asian assets put up for sale by Foster's Group....
SABMiller has rolled out international premium brand Peroni Nastro Azzurro into Poland....
InBev has refused to comment on reports that it is considering a bid for a stake in Beijing Yanjing Brewery....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015