S AFRICA: SABMiller unveils US$980,000 election donation
SABMiller says the money will support democracy.
SABMiller is to fund South Africa's six main political parties ahead of next year's general election.
The brewer said this week the ZAR9m (US$980,000) injection will help develop South Africa's political system. The money will be distributed in proportion to the parties' seats in the National Assembly, SABMiller said.
SABMiller's outgoing CEO, Graham Mackay, said: “Political progress will remain vital to (South Africa's) continued stability and growth but this progress requires funding and significant human resources. This is an extremely important cause and it deserves our support.”
SABMiller said it contributed ZAR5m in the run-ups to the 1999, 2004 and 2009 elections.
“This year’s higher donation value follows a number of years of double-digit inflation in South Africa,” the company said.
For a round up of SABMiller's presence in Africa, click here.
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
SABMiller has opened a second brewery in Uganda as it seeks to relieve capacity pressures in the country....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research