NIGERIA: SABMiller unveils US$110m brewery upgrade
SABMiller has revealed details of further investment in Nigeria
SABMiller has started work on tripling production capacity at one of its Nigerian breweries as part of a US$110m investment.
The UK-headquarted group said today (23 January) that its subsidiary, Intafact Beverages, has begun work on expanding the Onitsha brewery in south-east Nigeria. Capacity at the site will climb to 2.1m hectolitres once the upgrade is completed by March next year, the brewer said.
The group pointed to the unit's growth and “success” of Hero Lager, lauched in 2012, as the reason for the investment.
“We have made significant investments over the past five years in Nigeria and this announcement demonstrates our ongoing commitment in the country,” said Simon Harvey, SABMiller's Nigeria MD.
The site, which also produces Castle Milk Stout, will see its workforce increase by 400 - adding to the current 300 employees.
SABMiller, which has two other breweries in Nigeria and two bottling plants, launched the Onitsha site in August 2012, with an initial investment of $100m.
This week, the company reported an 8% rise in Q3 sales by value in Africa, excluding South Africa, as part of wider group figures.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
Beer in Colombia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains ...
It's not like we weren't warned. After all, it was only two weeks ago that SABMiller's CEO lauded the potential for soft drinks in emerging markets....
Yesterday, SABMiller, The Coca-Cola Co and Gutsche Family Investments - the owner of Coca-Cola Sabco - announced their intention to combine their bottling operations in east and southern Africa. Here,...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends