CANADA: SABMiller unit "disappointed" over Molson Coors court injunction
SABMiller's Canada unit is unhappy with the temporary injunction
The tie-up, which involves Molson acting as sales and marketing agent for Miller Brewing Co's (MBC) brands in Canada, was due to end next month. However, Ontario's Superior Court yesterday (20 June) granted a temporary injunction to Molson preventing MBC ending the deal before a full legal hearing in December.
Details of the fall-out first emerged in February, when MBC's Canada chief said it was dumping the agreement in order to "grow Miller's brands in Canada". Molson subsequently lodged a lawsuit against the move, but did not comment on its motives.
Following yesterday's injunction, Stephen Rogers, MBC's legal counsel said: "We remain firm in our expectation that the court will agree that we adhered to the terms of our Canadian licence agreement when we exercised our right to terminate."
Molson Coors has yet to respond to a request for comment.
The two companies also operate a JV in the US, MillerCoors. Speculation at the time suggested SABMiller's move to end the Canada agreement could signal a renewed appetite for it to get a greater chunk of MillerCoors, as a year five-year lock-up period over the JV is also due to end.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- This week in spirits & wine
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019