CANADA: SABMiller unit "disappointed" over Molson Coors court injunction
SABMiller's Canada unit is unhappy with the temporary injunction
The tie-up, which involves Molson acting as sales and marketing agent for Miller Brewing Co's (MBC) brands in Canada, was due to end next month. However, Ontario's Superior Court yesterday (20 June) granted a temporary injunction to Molson preventing MBC ending the deal before a full legal hearing in December.
Details of the fall-out first emerged in February, when MBC's Canada chief said it was dumping the agreement in order to "grow Miller's brands in Canada". Molson subsequently lodged a lawsuit against the move, but did not comment on its motives.
Following yesterday's injunction, Stephen Rogers, MBC's legal counsel said: "We remain firm in our expectation that the court will agree that we adhered to the terms of our Canadian licence agreement when we exercised our right to terminate."
Molson Coors has yet to respond to a request for comment.
The two companies also operate a JV in the US, MillerCoors. Speculation at the time suggested SABMiller's move to end the Canada agreement could signal a renewed appetite for it to get a greater chunk of MillerCoors, as a year five-year lock-up period over the JV is also due to end.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
The 2012 acquisition of StarBev raised Molson Coors from ninth to seventh in the global beer market and significantly expanded its international coverage. This profile analyses the opportunities deriv...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
Beer in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research