ROMANIA: SABMiller to close Azuga brewery
SABMiller's Romanian subsidiary, Ursus Breweries, is to close its recently acquired Bere Azuga brewery and move production of the Azuga beer brand to other facilities in the country.
Poor equipment at the brewery, which is located near the city of Brasov, is believed to be one of the reasons why Ursus has decided that the facility is not financially viable.
A spokesperson for SABMiller told just-drinks today (15 May): "Following Ursus Breweries' acquisition of Bere Azuga in January this year, we have now begun the process of transforming what was a local beer into a national brand.
"Given the current technical state of the brewery and the small production capacity, we have taken the decision to cease production at Azuga brewery and brew the brands at our other facilities in Romania."
Financial details of the Azuga takeover were not disclosed.
SABMiller's beer sales by volume rose 18% in the year to the end of March, against a national beer market up 3% in the same period, the firm said in its full-year results statement this week.
"Our Timisoreana brand has continued to be the key growth driver, consolidating its leading market position and growing volumes 27%," said the group.
SABMiller's global like-for-like beer volumes were flat against the prior year.
Dutch brewer Heineken raised its full-year forecast for operating profits on Wednesday (28 October), giving an indication that the embattled beer market is starting to stabilise. Michelle Russell look...
MillerCoors has said that the US beer market is heading for decline in 2009, but the brewer highlighted progress for its premium light portfolio....
Molson Coors, the Canada-based brewer, has reported double digit growth in net earnings in the third quarter of 2009....
Higher beer prices helped MillerCoors, the US brewing venture of SABMiller and Molson Coors, to increase net sales in the third quarter of 2009, with the group also reporting a double digit rise in pr...
Coca-Cola Amatil has said solid trading in the third quarter of its fiscal year means the soft drinks group is on-track to meet profits guidance....
Cobra Beer founder Lord Bilimoria is seeking finance to expand the beer brand in India, five months after Molson Coors stepped in to rescue Cobra's UK division from collapse....
Here you can find the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
SABMiller has held a conference in South Africa to reaffirm its commitment to Africa, as countries across the continent continue to show promise for beer sales....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly