INDIA: SABMiller to buy UB brewer?
According to the Economic Times in India, SABMiller has entered talks with UB to buy the latter's Empee brewery in the region.
When contacted by just-drinks today (8 June) a spokesperson would not be drawn on the reports. "We are not commenting on this matter at this time," the spokesperson said.
Just-drinks understands, however, that no deal has been struck. Other sources close to the situation have told just-drinks that, while the two companies may have been in recent discussions over the brewery, nothing has come of the meetings and the two will not team up in the area.
In April, just-drinks reported that SABMiller is poised to snap up a majority stake in Indian brewer Mohan Meakin, which is looking to cede control of its beer business. The move, expected to close in the coming weeks, would give SABMiller a direct brewing presence in Tamil Nadu, one of the three largest Indian states in terms of beer consumption.
UB controls two breweries in Tamil Nadu, Balaji and Empee.
In this month's Just the Answer, Gary Greenfield, managing director of Distell Europe, talks about South Africa's largest drinks company's international aspirations, not only for its flagship wine bra...
The announcement late last night that Anheuser-Busch is to be InBev's exclusive distributor in the US looks like a great deal for the Europe-based brewer....
SABMiller is planning to invest US$125m in the expansion of its brewing capacities in India. An executive with the brewer in India confirmed to just-drinks today (29 November) that the money will be u...
SABMiller has moved to downplay reports that it is set to launch one of its international brands in China....
Carlsberg is keen to up its presence in the east of China, but has stopped short of naming targets....
SABMiller is merging its Slovak breweries into one entity....
The Polish subsidiary of SABMiller is set to pump US$100m into upgrading all three of its breweries....
The group of 120 clerical staff allegedly facing a pension freeze at Miller Brewing Company have voted "overwhelmingly" in favour of possible strike action against the brewer....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Beam Suntory rolls out Larios gin range to UK
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends