NAMIBIA: SABMiller to build US$40m brewery
SABMiller is ramping up capacity in Namibia
SABMiller has unveiled plans to build a new US$40m brewery in Namibia as the race for dominance in Africa's beer markets heats up.
The 260,000-hectolitre Okahanjda plant, about 40 miles north of capital Windhoek, will be operational in the second half of next year, SABMiller said today (6 March). “The local brewery will not only enable us to make more of our key brands available to consumers in the Namibian market, but it will also make a meaningful contribution to the Namibian economy," SABMiller MD Mauricio Leyva said.
SABMiller has been in Namibia for about 20 years. In 2010, it formed SABMiller Namibia Ltd to house its Namibia operations, and the company now controls about 22% of the market, SABMiller said. The Okahanjda brewery will produce brands including Castle Lager, Carling Black Label and Castle Lite and follows the construction of SABMiller's first Namibian brewery, started in 2010.
SABMiller Namibia is 60% owned by SAB Ltd and 40% by local Namibian partners.
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
Heineken is making efforts to improve its business in the key US market and support sluggish consumption through product innovation, including Indio in June 2012 and Amstel Wheat and Tecate Michelada ...
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Ex-Diageo exec takes over Island Club spirits
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets