NAMIBIA: SABMiller to build US$40m brewery
SABMiller is ramping up capacity in Namibia
SABMiller has unveiled plans to build a new US$40m brewery in Namibia as the race for dominance in Africa's beer markets heats up.
The 260,000-hectolitre Okahanjda plant, about 40 miles north of capital Windhoek, will be operational in the second half of next year, SABMiller said today (6 March). “The local brewery will not only enable us to make more of our key brands available to consumers in the Namibian market, but it will also make a meaningful contribution to the Namibian economy," SABMiller MD Mauricio Leyva said.
SABMiller has been in Namibia for about 20 years. In 2010, it formed SABMiller Namibia Ltd to house its Namibia operations, and the company now controls about 22% of the market, SABMiller said. The Okahanjda brewery will produce brands including Castle Lager, Carling Black Label and Castle Lite and follows the construction of SABMiller's first Namibian brewery, started in 2010.
SABMiller Namibia is 60% owned by SAB Ltd and 40% by local Namibian partners.
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
Heineken has avoided action from the UK's advertising authorities after a complaint over a TV ad for Bulmers. ...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research