UK: SABMiller to build research brewery
SABMiller is to build a GBP2m (US$3.3m) global research brewery in the UK city of Nottingham.
Extending the shelf-life of beer and making the brewing process more sustainable will be key research themes at the pilot brewery, which will be built as part of the University of Nottingham's School of Biosciences.
Construction of the 1,000-litre capacity brewery will take around 12 months and is set to begin in March 2010.
SABMiller's chief brewer, professor Barry Axcell, said: "Pilot breweries have, up until now, been places where new brands are brewed and trialled. What we are creating is a facility that can simulate a whole range of brewing conditions, allowing us to develop expertise, products and procedures that will ensure SABMiller leads the industry in brewing innovation."
SABMiller's research brewer, James van der Watt, will run the pilot brewery.
SABMiller already sponsors the University of Nottingham's chair of brewing science, professor Katherine Smart.
Smart is leading a research project to exmaine ways to reuse spent grain from the brewing process to generate energy, as part of a five-year bioenergy project announced by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council this year.
SABMiller is one of 15 companies funding the GBP27m public-private research project.
Heineken surprised many observers with the timing and swiftness of its deal to acquire FEMSA Cerveza, announced this week. Here's what analysts and other media have been saying about the deal....
Foster's Group will significantly raise its spend on Victoria Bitter in 2010 as part of a three-year plan to adapt the iconic brand to a rapidly changing Australian beer market....
Businesses and governments must do more to address looming shortages in raw materials, such as water and crops, in emerging markets, according to a new report on global risk....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends