UK: SABMiller targets 'World Beer' segment despite overall slump
SABMiller is hoping the trend towards 'World Beers' in the UK bodes well for its Italian beer brand, Peroni Nastro Azzurro
The so-called 'World Beer' sub-category is performing well in the UK, despite flagging numbers for the category as a whole, according to SABMiller's unit in the country.
Miller Brands claimed earlier today (5 October) that the 'World Beer' segment was up by 17% in the UK in the last 12 months, and should be worth around GBP2bn (US$3.24bn) by the beginning of 2014. The unit claimed that it is well-placed to benefit from the trend, as it sees 77% of its total volumes consisting of 'World Beer' sales.
According to Miller Brands, the 'World Beer' segment comprises international lager brands that consumers feel “demonstrate quality and provenance, and are worth paying more for”.
“World Beers provide an opportunity for consumers to trade up and retailers to increase margins,” said Sam Rhodes, director of customer marketing at Miller.
“The sector is evolving rapidly; during the last year we have seen increasing interest and talk about craft beer. This is good for the category as it shows people are more open to discovering quality beer, but consumers don’t quite get it yet.
"Retailers still need to capitalise on World Beer and stock higher awareness brands … to drive sales”.
Among Miller's beer brands that operate in the segment are Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Pilsner Urquell and Kozel.
In July, figures released by the British Beer & Pub Association showed that overall beer sales in the UK fell by 5% in the second quarter of 2012, with poor weather and tax hikes being blamed.
SABMiller is looking to generate strong growth in its Latin American markets by focusing on the introduction of "affordable" products in the region....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research