CANADA: SABMiller takes fight to Molson Coors over licensing deal - report
SABMiller says it will defend itself
Miller Brewing is locked in a legal showdown with Coors after it tried to terminate a license agreement between the two. Coors, the sales and marketing agent for Miller’s brands in Canada, has filed a lawsuit against the decision.
But, in court documents seen by The Globe and Mail, Miller Brewing said Coors only sold 86% of its target volumes of Miller Genuine Draft in 2010, 77% in 2011 and 75% in 2012.
Miller claims in its defence filings to the Ontario Superior Court that the shortfall gives it the right to cancel the agreement, the Mail said yesterday (11 March).
Coors also alleges that Miller Brewing tried to poach its staff, an accusation denied by Miller, the Mail said.
Last month, Miller said it will “vigorously defend” the action and maintains its right to end the contract. The company said it has given Coors six months notice from 18 January, with the agreement set to terminate on 22 July.
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer