UK: SABMiller silent on Scottish & Newcastle link rumours
SABMiller announced today (19 November) that it has reached a "conditional agreement" to acquire Grolsch for EUR816m (US$1.19bn).
The UK brewer has been linked recently with a potential 'white knight' role to snatch S&N from under the noses of Carlsberg and Heineken, who have jointly made two proposed bids for S&N in the last month.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for SABMiller said: "We do not comment on mergers and acquisition speculation."
However, the spokesperson added: "This transaction does not unduly limit our ability to consider other deals which may be in our shareholders' interests."
The spokesperson declined to say whether SABMiller was in current talks with S&N, who last week dismissed Carlsberg and Heineken's last bid, describing the companies as "pathetic, desperate men, clutching at straws." Carlsberg declined to comment further on the attack.
SABMiller has signed an agreement to acquire a 99.84% stake in major Ukrainian brewer CJSC Sarmat....
SABMiller has lined up an addition to its mild beer portfolio in India, just-drinks has learned....
SABMiller has announced the appointment of Maria Ramos and Rob Pieterse to the company board as independent non-executive directors....
Increased excise on pre-mixed spirits in Australia is expected to boost beer sales for Foster's and Lion Nathan....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
SABMiller has announced changes to the Grolsch International senior management team....
Scottish & Newcastle is set to cease to exist at the end of this week....
SABMiller has confirmed plans to launch its premium international beer brand, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, in Russia....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research