UK: SABMiller shrugs off US woes
SABMiller has given a trading update for the three months to the end of June.
The global brewer said today (28 July) that it is in line with forecasts it made two months ago. Organic lager volume in the quarter - which did not include South America's performance - was up by 7% on the year.
In North America, however, the company took a hammering, with domestic sales to retailers sliding by 2.4%. Miller Lite brand volumes were level in the period. "The trading environment remains highly competitive," said company chief executive Graham Mackay.
In spite of this, volumes in South Africa were up in the quarter by 3%, while soft drinks volumes grew by 4%. Europe also performed well, bringing in organic lager growth of 6%, with Poland and Russia performing strongly. China was also noted for recording robust growth.
"In South America, the integration and investment programmes are proceeding as planned," Mackay noted. "Buoyant trading conditions were experienced across the region and excellent volume performances were recorded by all of our operations, leading to a 9% growth in lager volumes over the prior year on a pro forma basis.
"Both soft drink and beer volumes in Central America were up by 9%, reflecting effective sales and marketing activities," he added.
Having once produced earnings and revenue growth as regularly as clockwork, US brewing giant Anheuser-Busch stuttered last year. But there are signs that the brewer is quickly regaining its touch, wri...
Beer sales in Slovakia slid last year, according to recent figures....
Anheuser-Busch has stayed silent on reports in India that it has decided on a local venture partner in the fast-growing beer market....
South African Breweries is seeking a meeting with the country's competition watchdog next month to hold talks on allegations that it has broken competition rules on distribution....
SABMiller has said it expects premium-priced beers to account for 15% of sales volumes in its South American markets in five years' time....
SABMiller has unveiled a huge investment in its South American operations....
SABMiller has said this year's performance has been in line with expectations as the brewer heads into the last quarter....
SABMiller India has cooled on its plans to buy local brewer Mt Shivalik, just-drinks has learned. Sources close to the situation have told just-drinks today (16 January) that talks between SABMiller a...
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends