UK: SABMiller set to acquire Grolsch
SABMiller said today (19 November), that it plans to make an offer of EUR816m (US$1.19bn), equivalent to EUR48.25 per share, for the Dutch brewer.
The Grolsch board, which admitted it "did not seek a takeover", said that, despite this, the company "unanimously support the intended offer".
SABMiller added that, going forward, it plans to develop the brand across markets such as Africa and Latin America and Central and Eastern Europe and aims to raise production volumes at Grolsch's Enschede brewery following the transaction.
The acquisition will include possession of brands such as Grolsch Premium Pilsner and its varients Grolsch Premium Weizen, Spring Bock and Autumn Bock, the companies said.
SABMiller CEO Graham Mackay said: "Grolsch will provide SABMiller with a powerful addition to its international brand portfolio. Within the SABMiller family, Grolsch will continue to build on almost 400 years of brewing heritage, and together we will establish new positions in the most important emerging beer markets around the world."
Grolsch CEO Ab Pasman added: "When we were asked to consider SABMiller's proposal the key question was if greater value could be achieved than through our own existing strategy. Since this appeared to be the case we entered into discussions and we believe that SABMiller's intended offer delivers benefits to all of our stakeholders."
The offer is expected to be published in early January, followed by an EGM for its consideration will be marked by the establishment of an employee fund of EUR8m.
SABMiller has signed an agreement to acquire a 99.84% stake in major Ukrainian brewer CJSC Sarmat....
SABMiller has lined up an addition to its mild beer portfolio in India, just-drinks has learned....
SABMiller has announced the appointment of Maria Ramos and Rob Pieterse to the company board as independent non-executive directors....
Increased excise on pre-mixed spirits in Australia is expected to boost beer sales for Foster's and Lion Nathan....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
SABMiller has announced changes to the Grolsch International senior management team....
SABMiller has confirmed plans to launch its premium international beer brand, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, in Russia....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included stories from Beam Global, The UB Group, LVMH, Danone SABMiller and Heineken....
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Sustainability in Drinks - Sugar: A Shared Priorit
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Brown-Forman looks to raise US$500m
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future