KENYA: SABMiller sees space for super-premium beer in Kenya
SABMiller launches Miller Genuine Draft in Kenya
SABMiller and its local unit in Kenya, Crown Beverages, have launched Miller Genuine Draft in Kenya today (8 December). The beer is being imported from SABMiller's Peroni brewery in Italy and will join Peroni Nastro Azzurro on the Kenyan market, an SABMiller spokesperson has confirmed to just-drinks.
The move is part of a push by SABMiller to gain a foothold in Kenya's beer market by going after the top end of the sector. It has little choice but to take this narrow approach, given that the country's beer sector is dominated by Diageo-controlled East Africa Breweries Ltd.
SABMiller has no production base there, following its sale of a 20% stake in market leader Kenya Breweries to EABL earlier this year. The deal gives EABL full ownership of Kenya Breweries. Meanwhile, Diageo and Heineken own part of the Kenyan market number two, Namibia Breweries, while the third-biggest player, Bavaria, has a volume share of 1.4%, according to Euromonitor.
Kenya's premium beer sector is forecast to expand by 2% in value over the next five years, but overall market volumes will rise by 4%, said Euromonitor in a report published in February. "The premium brands target the high-income earners, who account for only 10% of the population," it said.
This month, Pete Brown, fervent Twitterer, looks at the social media site and considers how the brewing world is talking to its consumers. If they're talking at all....
This week, Pernod Ricard is hosting members of the media and the analyst community in Scotland for two days as it presents a capital markets day on Wednesday (30 May). Ahead of the trip, just-drinks l...
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends