INDIA: SABMiller seeks to improve barley sourcing
SABMiller to looks to local barley in India
SABMiller India plans to procure 100% of its barley directly from Indian farmers within the next five years.
A company official told just-drinks that the main reason is to have quality control over the barley used to produce its various beer brands. In India, the company produces Foster’s, Haywards 5000 and Knock Out, and it also sells Peroni.
SABMiller's market share in India has slumped from 35% three years ago to a little above 20%, marred by a regulatory dispute in Andhra Pradesh.
However, group sales volume is growing by 14-15% year-on-year and profits are likely to rise in the current year, added the official.
Commenting on the drop in market share, the official said that SABMiller intends to focus on the more profitable Indian states, like Maharashtra, Karnataka, Haryana and Rajasthan.
A ruling on Kronenbourg 1664 by the UK's advertising watchdog has the potential to set a precedent for marketeers of home-brewed 'foreign' beers....
SABMiller's hostile pursuit of Foster's Group is opportunistic and will probe for cracks between the Australian brewer's board and its shareholders....
SABMiller is reportedly almost ready to submit its hostile takeover offer for Foster's Group, as the Australian brewer's share price continues to wobble....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends