UK: SABMiller quashes call for exec pay revolt
SABMiller CEO's salary under scrutiny
Shareholder consultancy group PIRC is calling on SABMiller's shareholders to reject the brewer's recommendations for executive pay.
PIRC said this week that it is advising shareholders to reject SABMiller's report on executive remuneration, to be voted on at the brewer's annual general meeting on 22 July.
The UK-based consultancy group has also called for shareholders to oppose the re-election of six board members, including chairman Meyer Kahn, who PIRC has said lacks independence from the brewer's executive team.
PIRC has frequently spoken out against executive pay at some of the UK's largest listed companies.
An SABMiller spokesperson shrugged off the consultancy's attempt to incite shareholder revolt. "We think our shareholders are more impressed by our outperformance of the FTSE 100 than the views of a consultancy which actually represents very few investors on our register," he told just-drinks today (16 July).
SABMiller CEO Graham Mackay took home a basic salary of almost GBP1.2m (US$1.8m) for the brewer's financial year to the end of March, representing a 4% rise on the previous year.
He also got a cash bonus of GBP1.58m, which is a return to the bonus levels of two years previously following a drop to GBP888,000 a year ago.
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
Click play, below, to view the thoughts of SABMiller's CEO, Graham Mackay, on the brewers performance in the six months to the end of September....
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
Welcome back from what felt like a long Christmas and New Year break. As always at this time of year, the media is awash with predictions about the 12 months ahead. Who are we, then, to buck this time...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces on just-drinks in 2010....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018