ASIA PACIFIC: SABMiller positive on China, but "still a long way to go"
SABMiller sees a major opportunity in China
SABMiller is predicting medium-term mid-single digit volume growth in its Asia Pacific region, with China driving the rise but Australia impacting more on its bottom line.
At an investor presentation in London today (17 July), the group revealed that it expects volumes across Asia Pacific to grow by between 5% and 8% in the next few years. Despite this, the region's MD Ari Mervis, said sales by value in the period will be “flat to slightly positive”.
Margins in China, where SABMiller owns 90 breweries, are still being held back by “large inflationary pressures” such as raw material prices and rising wage costs, Mervis said. “The revenue-per-hectolitre is also comparatively low,” he said. “If we can increase that in the long term, we can see the real profit coming through.”
SABMiller is focussing on a premiumisation strategy in the country, including new variants such as Snow Draft and Crystal Draft. It currently holds 22% market share in the country.
"There are encouraging signs, but still a long way to go in China," said Mervis.
In Australia, the group revealed it has implemented US$90m of cost synergies since acquiring the business from Foster's Group in 2011. It currently has 41% market share in the country.
Mervis said that, since completing the purchase, the group has been “fixing” the business, including re-building a “fractious” relationship with retailer Woolworths. He later said that earnings in the region are being driven by the group's Australia business.
In India, the group revealed that beer still accounts for only 4% of the alcohol market by volume, with sales controlled at state level, meaning that there are 35 seperate excise tax regimes. The brewer is focussing on package innovation in the country, such as selling its Knock Out and Foster's brands in PET bottles.
Meanwhile, its re-launched Indus Pride brand, containing Indian spices, is being sold in eight major cities, with early sales indications looking "positive”.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Australia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This report comprises high level market research data on the Colombia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets