CZECH: SABMiller Plzensky Prazdroj invests in plastic
SABMiller's Czech subsidiary, Plzensky Prazdroj, has invested CZK150m (US$8.6m) in a production line for beer in PET bottles, amid growing demand for the format.
It is the Pilsner Urquell brewer's biggest single investment in the past five years. The line is able to fill 18,000 bottles per hour and will be used specifically for three brands: Klasik, Primus and Velkopopovicky Kozel. The first two are the lowest-alcohol beers in the group's portfolio.
Plzensky Prazdroj‘s general director, Doug Brodman, said that consumer demand for more practical packaging is rising. Group spokesman Jirí Marecek declined to comment to just-drinks this week on whether Czechs also prefer plastic bottles because they are cheaper than glass. He said that the plastic bottles are unbreakable and easier to open.
In the first part of this five-part briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the use of water in the brewing process, and brewers' attempts to reduce the amount wasted, as part of their sustainability efforts....
Part two of this month's briefing sees Ben Cooper consider the role water plays when it comes to the raw materials for brewers....
We're halfway there! The third part of this month's five-part briefing looks at the brewers' community investment programmes, external engagement efforts and collaboration moves in the environmental s...
In the penultimate part of this month's briefing, Ben Cooper turns his attention to energy use and carbon emissions from the multinational brewers....
The fifth and final part of February's management briefing focuses on the role packaging plays in the brewers' battles to operate more sustainably....
SABMiller's Chinese joint-venture, CR Snow Breweries, could get a second chance to dig its claws into Kingway Brewery and mount a stronger challenge to Tsingtao in the country's Guangdong province....
Kingway Brewery has reportedly drawn up a shortlist of potential suitors for six of its breweries, with Anheuser-Busch InBev emerging as an early frontunner....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends