AFRICA: SABMiller "open" to discussing tax
An SABMiller distribution warehouse in South Africa
SABMiller has said that it is willing to discuss tax payments in Africa upon news that it faces a joint investigation by five countries.
South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, Ghana and Mauritius have announced their intention to examine SABMiller's corporate tax payments in their respective countries. They will coordinate their inquiries via the African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF).
The move follows an ActionAid report, published in November last year, in which the charity accused SABMiller of "avoiding" paying up to GBP20m (US$31m) in taxes across Africa and India annually.
The Peroni Nastro Azzurro brewer continues to deny allegations of wrongdoing, but a spokesperson for the beer group told just-drinks today (9 May): "SABMiller has worked in forums with ATAF in the past. We are open to discussing with them the allegations made by ActionAid."
At the time of the ActionAid report, the firm said: "SABMiller does not engage in aggressive tax planning in any part of its operations."
The US economy is going in the wrong direction just as MillerCoors is scraping the bottom of its synergies barrel....
Carlsberg has joined Anheuser-Busch InBev in transferring the head of its UK operations to the eastern front. Is this more than mere coincidence?...
Following SABMiller's decision to produce a beer using cassava in Mozambique, just-drinks brings you the basics on what cassava is....
Having raised a few eyebrows with its pursuit of Foster's Group, SABMiller has won back a few cheerleaders by signing a strategic alliance with Anadolu Efes. Chris Mercer looks at the market reaction ...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research