COLOMBIA: SABMiller mulls expansion plans
SABMiller is mulling plans to build a brewery near the Colombian city of Cali, a project that could cost up to US$150m.
The London-listed brewing giant, which owns Colombia's largest brewer, Bavaria, said today (1 June) that it was looking into constructing a new brewery but had yet to reach a decision.
An SABMiller spokesman told just-drinks: "We are still assessing our available capacity in Colombia and whether to build on existing sites or whether it is necessary to build a new brewery."
Reports in Colombia suggested that it could cost SABMiller up to US$150m to build the brewery, which, it is understood, would have a capacity of 3-4m hectolitres. The spokesman, however, declined to comment on the projected cost or capacity of the brewery.
Nevertheless, the spokesman said that SABMiller would look to upgrade and expand its existing seven sites in Colombia as the brewer looks to keep ahead of growing demand for beer in the country.
Per capita beer consumption in Colombia stands at 42 litres per person. SABMiller believes that investment in distribution, packaging and brand development will drive demand for beer in the Andean country.
Major brewing groups are clamouring to get into India, which, by dint of its young population, expanding economy and rising personal disposable income offers huge growth potential. International group...
The Polish subsidiary of SABMiller is set to pump US$100m into upgrading all three of its breweries....
The group of 120 clerical staff allegedly facing a pension freeze at Miller Brewing Company have voted "overwhelmingly" in favour of possible strike action against the brewer....
A union representing 120 Miller Brewing office workers will today (14 November) vote on possible strike action to counter parent company SABMiller's alleged proposal for a pension freeze. Milwaukee-ba...
Global brewer SABMiller has announced it is making simultaneous tender offers on the Lima Stock Exchange for all shares it does not already own in its listed Peruvian subsidiaries, and said the offers...
SABMiller said today that "satisfactory growth" had helped deliver a 3% rise in basic earnings per share to 52.9 US cents in its first half of the year. The growth was on the back of a strong performa...
Coca-Cola Amatil has secured a deal to sell and distribute Maxxium Worldwide's spirits portfolio in Australia....
InBev will not be drawn on local reports suggesting that a proposed joint venture in India is on the edge of collapse. InBev, which has yet to establish a presence in the country, has reportedly dropp...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends