CANADA: SABMiller, Molson Coors delay court battle for talks
The court case was scheduled to begin in Toronto this week
The case centres on MBC's attempt to cancel Molson Coors' contract to handle its brands, including Miller Genuine Draft, in Canada. However, in June, Molson obtained a temporary injunciton to block MBC ending the tie-up, after filing a lawsuit earlier in the year.
Court proceeedings over the disputed agreement were due to begin in Toronto yesterday (9 December). However, MBC said, along with Molson Coors Canada it had “mutually sought and obtained an adjournment of the trial...in order to pursue settlement negotiations”.
MBC's statement added: “Miller Brewing Company remains confident in its position, but views the opportunity to discuss settlement as a positive development.”
In a statement to just-drinks, Molson Coors said: “This is a matter before the courts, and we do not comment on pending litigation. We are hopeful that there will be a positive outcome and look forward to moving forward with our business upon the ruling. Molson Coors Canada represents a number of great import brands and is proud of the success Miller brands have achieved in Canada under our stewardship for the past thirty years.”
The two companies currently operate the MillerCoors JV in the US. A five-year lock-up period, where each had agreed not to transfer their voting or economic interests in the JV, ended in July.
To read an exclusive just-drinks comment piece on this situation, click here
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper continue his review of the environmental efforts of the larger brewers. Here, he looks at Heineken, Molson Coors and SABMiller....
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Bulgaria beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
Mergers and acquisitions have to varying degrees been important in shaping the different alcoholic drinks categories....
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Hungary beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and a...
The Republic of Ireland has long been tagged, for good or bad, as being a hard-drinking nation. The charity Alcohol Action Ireland claims that Irish adults "binge-drink" more than any of their Europea...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research