S AFRICA: SABMiller loses power, but not heart
SABMiller has answered reports that power cuts will threaten its trade in South Africa by admitting that, despite a negative effect on sales being "inevitable", business in the country will continue.
Speaking to just-drinks today (1 February) a spokesperson for SABMiller said that South Africa's power supply problems were a hurdle that the company was currently working around, but also something consumers have been living with for a year-and-a-half already.
The spokesperson said: "We are getting advanced warnings for routine maintenance sessions for when the power is down and we are currently able to work around them. As far as how the on-trade will be affected, it is too soon to speculate. It is probably inevitable that you will see some impact in the consumer environment. For instance, when street lights go out, people go out less.
"The power situation has been something we've been living with for the past 18 months," the spokesperson continued. "This is just an extension of what we've already been living with and, despite the power outages, business has continued," added the spokesperson.
Given the consolidation trend in the global beer market it was not likely to be that long before another mega-deal came along. InBev's move for US giant Anheuser-Busch was not unexpected though the co...
SABMiller will set up new businesses in Sweden and Austria as part of a plan to significantly expand export beer sales in Europe over the next five years....
SABMiller has launched a new website, which, the company claims, acts as "a comprehensive guide to alcohol" for consumers....
Coors Brewing Co. has confirmed the transfer of several of its properties in the US to MillerCoors....
Molson Coors has confirmed an addition to its board of directors....
SABMiller has completed its latest bond issue....
MillerCoors has picked Chicago as the location for its headquarters, with the city pipping Dallas to house the joint venture....
SABMiller has appointed Mark Luce to the position of commercial director: Asia with effect from 1 September....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020