ROMANIA: SABMiller lines up Ursus investment
SABMiller is set to invest EUR50m (US$69m) in expanding production at one of its breweries in Romania.
The company's Ursus Breweries subsidiary in the country confirmed yesterday (10 September) that it will plough the funds into upping capacity and modernising its facility in Timisoara in the west of the country. The investment should see weekly capacity increase by around 200% on current levels, the company said.
As well as a new brew house and fermentation, filtration and storage tanks, Ursus will build a new storage warehouse. At the same time, Ursus will upgrade the brewery's infrastructure to include a waste water treatment plant.
"One of the major benefits of the modernisation of our Timisoara brewery will be in the reduction of resources, in line with the sustainable development strategy of Ursus Breweries," said Dragos Hopulele, the Timisoara brewery director.
Dieter Schulze, president and CEO of Ursus, added: "Even though Ursus Breweries completed a EUR50m investment in the expansion of Buzau brewery in 2006, we decided to continue investing in our capacity to ensure that we have the required capacity to meet the market demand.
"These investments will support our brands to reach their maximum potential and be the first choice of the Romanian consumers for all consumption occasions."
The Timisoara brewery currently has weekly production capacity in the region of 21,000 hectolitres.
SABMiller has refuted claims that it is supporting a political campaign in Zimbabwe....
Scottish & Newcastle has been given full clearance to proceed with the construction of its first brewery in Vietnam, according to local reports....
Anheuser-Busch has refused to be drawn on claims that it is the latest brewer to consider scuppering Carlsberg and Heineken's move for Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg and Heineken have ended a nerve-wracked week by noting the issuance of the scheme document for their acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
SABMiller has closed its public offer for shares in Grolsch, with the Dutch brewer set to delist next month....
SABMiller has been moved to issue a statement following speculation that it may tender a counterbid for Scottish & Newcastle....
SABMiller has refused to comment on reports that it is considering a counterbid for Scottish & Newcastle....
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Ex-Diageo exec takes over Island Club spirits
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets