UK/MEXICO: SABMiller in talks with Modelo?
A report by Reuters yesterday (24 June) cited sources familiar with the situation as saying that the two companies have met to discuss options available to them in light of the latest wave of brewer consolidation.
Modelo, which is 50%-owned by Anheuser-Busch, is thought to be a takeover target of the US brewer's, which itself is the subject of a US$46.3bn bid by InBev. Late last week, Modelo's CEO, Carlos Fernandez, stepped down from his position on A-B's board. The move suggested Modelo was unhappy at being used as a poison pill in the consolidation battle.
Discussions between SABMiller and Modelo included the possibility of SABMiller acquiring part or all of Modelo, in the event that InBev succeeds in its takeover of A-B, Reuters cited the sources as saying.
When contacted by just-drinks, however, a spokesperson for SABMiller would not be drawn on the report.
The brewing sector has seen steady consolidation in recent years and 2008 was certainly no exception. Olly Wehring reviews a year which began with the protracted takeover of S&N by Heineken and Carlsb...
Per capita consumption of beer in India may currently be small but SABMiller believes demographic and economic factors point to exciting long-term potential for the market. Chris Mercer reports from I...
MillerCoors has bowed to pressure from a coalition of state attourneys general in the US and agreed to remove a range of ingredients, including caffeine, from its Sparks drink....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Cobra Beer is circulating a sales memorandum to potential buyers, declaring its willingness to split its UK and Indian businesses, sources close to the situation have confirmed to just-drinks....
SABMiller Africa plans to begin brewing a new lager in Southern Sudan, following the opening of a brewery in the country's capital....
SABMiller has announced that it will "significantly" increase local sourcing of raw materials for its beers, citing clear commercial advantages....
Coca-Cola has said that it remains hopeful that its US$2.4bn takeover offer Huiyuan Juice Group will be cleared by Chinese authorities before the end of March 2009....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research