COLOMBIA: SABMiller hit by antitrust probe
SABMiller's Colombian beer unit has been slapped with an antitrust probe in the country.
The Colombian government's antitrust agency yesterday (26 April) said it has opened an investigation into the alleged breaching of antitrust regulations by Bavaria. The probe will look at claims, made by Heineken in the country, that Bavaria instructed retailers, bars and restaurants not to stock Heineken if they wanted to stock SABMiller's international beer brand Peroni.
Bavaria is alleged to have given incentives to dissuade outlets from selling other premium brands than Peroni, the agency said.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson confirmed receipt of the information from the agency. "We are confident of our position, but we will co-operate fully with any investigation," the spokesperson said.
SABMiller has been given 15 days to respond to the investigation and, if found guilty, the brewer could face a fine in the region of US$377,000.
In Colombia, the premium beer category accounts for around 3% of Bavaria's total beer portfolio, with Peroni accounting for 20% of that 3%.
Carlsberg and Heineken have defended their approach of Scottish & Newcastle as "a compelling proposition"....
Global brewers have stayed silent over their interest in the possible acquisition of Serbian brewery Pivara MB....
Carlsberg and Heineken have made their widely-anticipated move for Scottish & Newcastle....
The real "losers" in the battle between Carlsberg and Scottish & Newcastle over their Eastern European brewing joint venture will be the shareholders of both companies, according to today's (25 Octobe...
SABMiller has announced it will delist shares of its Colombian unit, Bavaria, a week later than originally planned....
Scottish & Newcastle has claimed that it is now in a position to take full control of Baltic Beverages Holding, its Eastern European joint brewing venture with Carlsberg....
Scottish & Newcastle has launched a blistering attack on Carlsberg, following last week's announcement that the Danish brewer is in talks with Heineken to break up S&N....
Reports today (23 October) have suggested that Scottish & Newcastle's operations in India could prove a barrier to Carlsberg and Heineken succeeding in breaking up the UK-based brewer....
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & Full Year - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research