SLOVAKIA: SABMiller gets green light on Topvar buy
Slovakia's anti-competition watchdogs have approved SABMiller's acquisition of the country's third-largest brewery, Topvar.
The Antimonopoly Office of the Slovak Republic yesterday (14 March) gave the green light to the deal, which will see SABMiller overtake Heineken and become the country's largest brewer. SABMiller and Heineken now control around 80% of the country's beer market.
SABMiller, which already owns Slovakia's largest brewer, Saris, announced the Topvar deal last May after securing a 33% stake. The brewing giant planned to snap up more shares from minority investors in Topvar at separate intervals but in August, InBev's Slovak arm lodged a complaint with the country's competition watchdogs.
An SABMiller spokesman said the company was "very pleased" with the ruling. "We expect to the close the deal in the next week or two," he told just-drinks today.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
San Miguel Brewery Hong Kong has secured a deal to distribute InBev's products in the city and neighbouring Macau....
Investment bank Goldman Sachs has restarted coverage of InBev. It has given the world's largest brewer by volume an "outperform" rating....
InBev, is to close its Labatt's Toronto brewery by the end of the year, with repercussions for some 265 employees. ...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
Carlsberg cannot compete with some of the larger global brewers when it comes to earnings, according to the Danish company's CEO....
InBev has added a Russian brewery to its pilot project to improve efficiency throughout its operations....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends