UK: SABMiller fast-tracks Clark to CEO after Mackay tumour
SABMiller's Graham Mackay has been diagnosed with a brain tumour
Alan Clark has been installed as SABMiller's chief executive with "immediate effect" due to Graham Mackay being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
Clark was due to take over the role in July, as part of a year-long succession plan, but this has been brought forward as a result of Mackay's illness, the company said today (23 April). Mackay had surgery yesterday and is now on a course of treatment.
He was due to become non-executive chairman, but SABMiller said it will keep his position under review pending the outcome of his treatment.
In the meantime, John Manser, deputy chairman, will be acting chairman, the company said.
Manser said in statement, on behalf of SABMiller's board: “Our thoughts and prayers are obviously with Graham and his family at this difficult time. We wish him well and look forward to his recovery. He has made an immense contribution to making SABMiller what it is today, but the transition from Graham to Alan in accordance with our succession plans is already in its final stages."
Mackay said in a note: "The transition of management responsibilities to Alan Clark is already well advanced. The group is in excellent hands, and Alan will now simply pick up the remaining executive responsibilities a little sooner than expected."
Mackay made one of his last public appearances for the company at the Consumer Analyst Group of New York Conference in Florida in February.
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Australia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report