INDIA: SABMiller eyes Tamil Nadu acquisition
SABMiller has prepared an INR5.6bn (US$122.7m) war chest for acquisitions in the beer market and expansion of its existing capacity. The company is looking to buy a brewery in the state of Tamil Nadu, South India.
The brewer does not currently have a brewery in Tamil Nadu, while the state's 'no imports allowed' law prohibits the shuttling of beer from its breweries in the neighbouring states of Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
The frontrunner for acquisition is Mohan Meakins brewery, which is up for sale, although SABMiller has not yet reached a final agreement with the family-owned company.
Richard Rushton, the managing director of SABMiller India stated that the company is looking forward to expanding its market share in India and is open to various opportunities in the market.
The acquisition of Mohan Meakins at the national level would effectively make SABMiller the leader in the Indian beer market. While SABMiller has around 37% market share in the beer segment, United Breweries has around 40% and Mohan Meakin has around 8%.
Having recorded a third consecutive year of volume, margin and earnings growth, global brewing force, SAB Miller, was in a position to give shareholders a 27% dividend increase and eye the acquisition...
Rumours that SABMiller is poised to launch a bid for Empresarial Bavaria swept the trading floor yesterday (2 June)....
The Indian subsidiary of SABMiller, MBL Investments (Mysore), has acquired the Shaw Wallace Group's 50% interest in the brewing operations of SABMiller's Indian joint-venture....
The German-owned investment house, Deutsche Bank, has upgraded shares in the UK-based international brewing group, SABMiller, from "hold" to "buy", and raised its target for the shares from 830p to 95...
The CEO of SABMiller has hailed the brewer's full-year figures as "very pleasing" today (19 May)....
SABMiller has seen its share rating upgraded....
SABMiller has agreed to acquire the Slovakian brewer Topvar. Topvar is located in the city of Topoľčany in Western Slovakia and sold 569,000 hectolitres of beer in 2004....
SABMiller has had its share recommendation upped....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India