KENYA: SABMiller expands in Kenya soft drinks, PepsiCo also building presence?
SABMiller is looking to expand its presence in Kenya with the purchase of Crown Foods
SABMiller is looking to expand its presence in Kenya with the purchase of Crown Foods, the bottlers of Keringet drinking water.
The South African brewer completed the purchase of Crown Foods in December for an undisclosed sum. The purchase, the firm said today (29 March), ties in with the firm's multi-beverage strategy to build its non-beer portfolio of brands and business across the continent, which includes soft drinks and waters.
SABMiller currently produces its own brands of Appletiser juices, sparkling mineral water, sport and energy drinks.
A spokesperson for SABMiller told just-drinks: "Crown is the largest water brand in Kenya but we have also bought a number of other water companies in Africa already, in Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Uganda more recently. It is part of our multi-beverage strategy."
The company currently has a manufacturing presence in Kenya with its association with East African Breweries, but the spokesperson said that with a focus now on expanding its business outside of beer, other purchases can probably be expected in the near future.
PepsiCo is also reported to be building a US$29m manufacturing plant in Kenya for six of its soft drinks brands, according to Soft Drinks Business Review. However, the firm did not return comment on the reports when contacted by just-drinks.
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing considers the emerging markets, and the position they will take in the future of our industry....
Richard Hall is the chairman and founder of Zenith International, a food and drinks consultancy with around 1,000 clients in 50 countries. Here, we ask Hall what he expects the main influences will be...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research