UK: SABMiller dismisses Colombian paramilitary claims
At his trial this week, Salvatore Mancuso, a paramilitary leader in the country, named Bavaria as helping the illegal armies. Mancuso also claimed that domestic soft drinks leader Postobon was making donations.
"Contrary to the allegations reported in the press, Bavaria has not made payments of any kind to illegal groupings operating in various areas in Colombia," SABMiller told just-drinks today (18 May). "Bavaria also confirms that it has not made any such payments to any of its distributors, whether they operate in regions affected by public order or not. The distributors of Bavaria products are legally independent and autonomous entities, which buy products from Bavaria, in order to re-sell them to retailers."
The brewer added that all compensation made to third party distributors over the past decade has been checked, and no evidence of any payments to paramilitary organisations could be found.
"Bavaria regrets these allegations and stands ready to support any further investigations in this regard," the company concluded.
Mancuso reeled off a list of multinational and domestic companies he claims have funded the United Self-Defence Forces of Colombia, at his hearing in Medellin on Wednesday.
Scottish & Newcastle faces a tough battle to defend itself from the joint takeover launched by Carlsberg and Heineken. But today's announcement of a legal challenge to Carlsberg over alleged breac...
SABMiller has followed yesterday's (15 November) first-half results with details of its latest dividend payment....
SABMiller has posted a healthy lift in sales and profits for the first half of its fiscal year, but has warned of a "more challenging environment" going forward....
SABMiller has unveiled a US$50m global promotional push for its Peroni Nastro Azzuro beer brand....
SABMiller has confirmed that it will launch its Miller Chill beer brand in Australia....
SABMiller has stayed silent on reports that it may be taking advice from banks over a possible bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
JP Morgan has started coverage of the European beverage sector, with the bank's top pick being the UK-based brewer SABMiller....
Molson Coors Brewing has posted a slide in net profit for its third quarter, with sales in the period following suit....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends