UK: SABMiller confirms interest in Colombian acquisitions
SABMiller has confirmed its interest in potential acquisitions with Colombian spirit companies.
Speaking to just-drinks today (12 July) a spokesperson for SABMiller said: "SABMiller is following the privatisation process of the local spirit companies in Colombia with some interest, as you would expect as one of the largest alcohol producers. No decision has been taken regarding any form of participation."
The speculation was fuelled by recent reports that representatives of SABMiller had attended a meeting with spirits distiller Industria Licorera de Caldas (ILC).
In May, SABMiller announced plans to invest in its South American operations over the next five years due to a rise in sales volumes and profit growth potential in the region.
The company said that a US$1.8bn investment will be spent renovating the brewer's brand's image in an effort to broaden the brewer's consumer base. The campaign will include new packaging and upgraded brewing capacity, as well as improving point of sale and developing route to market networks said the group.
Strong volume growth in Colombia has already accelerated the investment of US$175m in a new brewery in Cali. Similarly in Peru, SABMiller's subsidiary Backus and Johnston announced it will invest US$102m in the expansion of its facilities at Ate and Motupe.
just-drinks wine pundit Chris Losh turns clairvoyant to predict the big stories of 2008. Will our Nostradamus of the Spittoon be proved right? There is only one way to find out. Keep reading just-drin...
Diageo's CEO has been appointed chairman of The Scotch Whisky Association....
A marked rise in tax on beer in Russia could slow sales for brewers in the country this year, a trade body has warned....
Finnish state-owned alcohol company Altia Corporation is not big enough to buy Swedish drinks giant Vin & Sprit but could be interested if the company is broken up into parts, according to chief execu...
Molson Coors Brewing Co. has updated its website to include information including its company history and structure as well as its corporate responsibilities....
A raft of brewers in the UK have begun packaging their beer in lighter bottles....
Diageo has promoted one of its managers to the position of president, control states for its North America division....
Grolsch has posted a lift in both sales and profits for the first ten months of last year....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends