INDIA: SABMiller completes Foster's India purchase
The London-listed brewing giant confirmed today (12 September) that it has closed its acquisition of the business and brand from Foster's for US$120m.
SABMiller said that its Indian unit will look to extend Foster's Lager through its national network of breweries and seek "significant" cost benefits from brewing and distributing the brand locally. "The existing brewery in Maharashtra will provide additional capacity in the state as well as a platform for access to Mumbai," the company added.
"We will look to continue the success of Foster's in India and drive growth in the premium segment in this exciting market," said Andre Parker, MD at SABMiller Africa and Asia. "SABMiller India's extensive footprint throughout the country, along with its spectrum of strong local and international brands, provides a compelling growth proposition as the Indian beer market develops."
Last month, Foster's confirmed that it was offloading its brewing assets in Vietnam and India. The Australian company sold its Vietnamese rights to Asia Pacific Breweries for US$105m.
SABMiller is the second largest brewer in India - behind United Breweries - holding around 31% of the market.
The sale of one of Carlsberg's two breweries in Italy signals a stronger focus on the premium end of the market, according to the head of the Danish brewer's business in Western Europe. Speaking to ju...
SABMiller is looking at the possibility of building a brewery in southern Sudan, just-drinks understands....
Tiger Beer has launched a viral ad campaign in the UK based on its links with Asian film....
The head of Carlsberg's business in Asia has said the company's partnership with Vietnamese brewer Hanoi Beer Company (Habeco) will help it stave off growing competition in the fast-growing market....
Heineken and SABMiller have stayed silent on reports in Belarus that they are interested in the country's largest brewer Krinitsa....
Government officials in Vietnam have given the green light to Scottish & Newcastle's plans to build a greenfield brewery in the country....
A Californian winery has introduced a new look for one of its wines after settling a row with Foster's....
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed its long-rumoured entry into the Indian beer market. The US brewing giant today (22 February) announced that it would set up a local venture with Indian brewer Crown Beers...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World