AFRICA: SABMiller combines Africa units, appoints leader
SABMiller announced the changes today
SABMiller is to merge its South Africa and Africa units with the head of the latter to lead the enlarged region.
Mark Bowman, currently MD of SABMiller Africa will assume responsibility for South Africa when the change takes place on 1 July, the company said today (7 April). Meanwhile, Norman Adami, chairman of the group's South Africa beverages business is to retire.
SABMiller CEO Alan Clark said: “We see significant advantages in managing all of our African businesses as one region. We believe there is strong potential for profitable growth in both beer and total beverages in Africa, and, by harnessing the skills of our South African and African business in a combined Africa region, we believe that we will be better placed to access growth prospects across the entire continent.”
Other changes include appointing Mauricio Leyva, MD of Beer South Africa, as chairman and MD of SAB Ltd in South Africa, reporting to Mark Bowman. Also on 1 July, John Ustas, the MD of Amalgamated Beverage Industries, the Group’s South African soft drinks business, will start reporting to Mark Bowman.
Adami, who will retire at the end of July, joined SAB in 1979 and was made president of Miller Brewing Company shortly after its acquisition in 2002. He returned to SAB Ltd in 2008 and became chairman in January last year.
SABMiller Plc - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...read more
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- William Grant opens Tullamore D.E.W. distillery
- Rabobank warns of "mountainous task" for Scotch
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014